COLLEGE OF NURSING, LUDHIANA, PUNJAB
According to the Constitution of Christian Medical
College, Ludhiana society (Regd.), the Christian medical College, Ludhiana
is a education and research institution of an all India Character
established and run by the minority Christian Community. Its primary aim
is to educate and train Christian men and women as health professionals,
in the spirit of Jesus Christ for the healing ministry of the Church in
India. However, like many other Christian educational institutions, this
college also offers educational facilities to other young men and women
irrespective of religion, caste or community.
Through education in this college the Christian
church seeks to make a significant contribution to the health standards of
all communities of our National with special emphasis on health care in
the rural areas. Medical Missionary work was started in Ludhiana in the
year 1881 by the Greenfield sister's Miss Martha Rose and Miss Kay
Greenfield. This pioneering medical work of the Greenfield sisters was the
precursor of the medical Training and Health Care service programme of the
present Christian Medical College, Ludhiana.
The Greenfield sister and their associates
organized the Health Care Educational Services in which endeavor Dr. Edith
Mary Brown joined them in 1894 the North Indian School of Medicine for
Christian Women was started by Dr. Edith Mary Brown and her colleagues
with the object of training Indian Nationals, particularly the women to
serve in the field of Medical Education and Health Care Services,
emphasizing integration of training and health care services.
Nursing training was started in 1889 by the
Greenfield sisters. The school became well - known for the nursing care it
provided and for its services to needy patients particularly after 1894
when the school of medicine for Christian Women was started.
The General Nursing Programme began in 1941. In
1953 the MBBS course started in Christian Medical college, Ludhiana,
admitting both men and women students, and the nursing programme was
upgraded accordingly. The School of Nursing was upgraded to college of
Nursing in 1973 with 18 students admitted to the B.Sc Nursing course. The
first batch of B.Sc. Nursing students graduated in April 1977.
Since the nursing standard is maintained at a high
level, the results of examination have always been excellent. In response
to the changing society the nursing practice has changed from mere
apprenticeship to a professional education and to foster nursing as a
professional career attractive and desirable to young people on an equal
basis with any other career.
The college of nursing degree programme are
affiliated to the Punjab University and registration is done by Punjab
Nurses Registration council. This programme is recognized by Indian
Nursing council. This programme is recognized by Indian Nursing council.
Since July 1999, the college has been affiliated with Baba Farid
University of Health Sciences, Kotkapura Road, Faridkot - 151 203
The college of Nursing is situated in a large
campus on the Brown Road, not far from the Ludhiana Railway Station. The
Campus has residential quarters for the staff and hostels for Nursing